Cooper and Turner lead Reds to victory

View match page
30 May 2015
Cooper and Turner lead Reds to victory

The Force appear destined for the Super Rugby wooden spoon in 2015 after going 32-10 against the Reds in Perth on Saturday.

Quade Cooper and Lachie Turner scored two tries each in the basement battle as the Reds clinched a rare bonus-point win, just the fourth victory this year for the 2011 champions.

Cooper, in his first game back after a long injury layoff, was the star of the show scoring a try and creating one for Turner in the first half before following his team-mate's example by bagging a brace in the second half.

One this kind of form, Wallabies coach Michael Cheika will find it very hard to leave Cooper out of his World Cup squad after the fly-half and Will Genia showed some of the form that once made them the most dangerous halfback combination in Super Rugby. 

The result represents the most points the Reds have ever scored in Perth and goes a long way to ensuring they won't finish bottom of the Australian conference.

A try from Force full-back Dane Haylett-Petty just before the break meant the hosts were still in the contest with the Reds leading 17-10 at the interval.

The but Reds never looked like losing, completely shutting the Force out in the second half as they continued to dominate both territory and possession. 

The Force started well and Sias Ebersohn opened the scoring early on with a penalty, but the Reds took control of the game near the end of the first quarter. Genia took a quick tap, Samu Kerevi drew the defence before offloading to Cooper, who crossed in the corner, before adding the touchline conversion. 

Cooper added another penalty before his pass behind his back put Turner over the corner. Another excellent conversion took the scores out to 17-3.

Haylett-Petty looked to have been held up over the line under a pile of bodies after another quick tap but the try was awarded with Ebersohn's conversion cutting the gap to seven points.

The Reds put the result to bed shortly after the restart though. Chris Feauai-Sautia drew the last defender before finding Turner on his outside for the winger's second try.

Genia then sliced through a gap before giving it to Cooper on his shoulder for classic try to secure the bonus point around the hour mark. 

Cooper's third conversion ended the scoring in a well-deserved victory for the Reds.