Force again prove to be Rebels' kryptonite

View match page
12 Jun 2015
Force again prove to be Rebels' kryptonite

The Force claimed just their third win of the Super Rugby season as they edged the Rebels 13-11 in Melbourne on Friday.

The result is not enough to lift the Force off the foot of the overall table, but the team from Perth end their season on a winning note with a victory built on a courageous defensive effort.

Indeed, the Rebels dominated both in terms of territory and possession but were unable to put the finishing touch a number of opportunities. They will finish the season in 10th place.

Rebels fullback Mike Harris will be kicking himself for missing what would have been the winning drop-goal at the death in game the home side really should have won. 

A try-less first half came to an end with the Force leading 6-3 thanks to two penalties from flyhalf Zack Holmes.

The Rebels had done most of the playing but two disallowed tries - one for each team - ensured that the opening period was short on highlights as the Force's spoiling tactics disrupted the hosts' rhythm. 

The trend continued in the second half as Rebels full-back Mike Harris leveled the scores around the 50-minute mark.

Force winger Luke Morahan's late try against the run of play put the Force back in front but Telusa Veainu went over for the Rebels to set up a tense finish.

Force prop Chris Heiberg was held up over the line and Rebels wing Cam Crawford was denied try after Tom English was harshly adjudged to have cause obstruction in the build-up, meaning two penalties from Holmes and one from Harris were the only scores of the first half.

Rebels skipper Scott Higginbotham came close to scoring around the hour mark but knocked-on over the line, so the game entered the final quarter with the scores locked at 6-all.

The Force landed the telling blow when, with the Rebels almost certain to score from a three-man overlap, Marcel Brache intercepted and raced clear before offloading to Morahan for a length-of-the field try. 

Holmes added the conversion but the Rebels were able to strike right back as the pressure final told.

Crawford found Veainu out wide and the replacement winger's pace was enough to take him into the corner.

Crucially, Harris missed the conversion though, leaving the Force with a two-point lead in the dying minutes.

Harris had loads of time, but sent his drop attempt wide to hand the Force and hard-fought win.