Reds find their mojo in try-fest

15 May 2015
Reds find their mojo in try-fest

The Reds recovered from a slow start to claim a morale-boosting 46-29 victory over the Rebels in Brisbane on Friday.

The home side fought back from being 17-6 down late in the first half as they scored six tries on either side of the interval to earn a well-deserved win, just their third of the year.

The result lifts the Reds off the bottom of the overall standings and puts a massive dent in the Rebels' thin hopes of making the play-offs.

The Reds outscored their visitors six tries to four in what must be considered their best performance of the season, just days after former Wallabies coach John Connolly joined the Queenslanders' staff.  

The Rebels led 17-11 at the break thanks to two blistering tries from winger Sefanaia Naivalu while the Reds stayed in touch via a try from lock Rob Simmons.

The Rebels were good value for their lead despite the Reds having enjoyed the lion's share of both territory and possession. The hosts' defence was once again an issue with 11 missed tackles in the first half not helping their cause.

The second half was a entirely different story though as the hosts cut loose and ran rampant with 40 points being racked up before the Rebels replied.

A try for debutant Reds fly-half Jake McIntyre early in the second period put his team in front for the first time before further scores by wings Lachie Turner - who scored twice - and Chris Feauai-Sautia and flank Liam Gill secured the bonus-point victory.

Late consolation tries from Dom Shipperley and Luke Jones proved much too little, way too late, for a well-beaten Rebels outfit.

The Rebels scored the first try after just four minutes as they attacked from deep inside their own 22 from a turnover ball which was shifted wide to Naivalu, who turned on the gas and raced home.  

Mike Harris added the conversion and then traded penalties with James O'Connor to leave the Rebels 10-6 up on the half-hour mark.

Lightning struck for the second time as Naivalu's pace took him into the corner after a high ball was allowed to bounce leaving the Reds defence ripe for the picking as Jack Debreczeni shifted it wide quickly.

The Reds weren't ready to lie down quietly though and Simmons powered over from short range with half-time looming to keep the hosts in contention.

The second half was one-way traffic though as the floodgates opened with McIntyre first to cross after he collected Karmichael Hunt's neat inside ball to score.

The Reds were on fire, putting together some decent phases to put Turner into the right hand corner before Feauai-Sautia touched down in the same place shortly afterwards.

In the meantime, Debreczeni was sent to the bin for deliberately slowing down the ball at ruck time and the extra man counted as Turner came in on the switch with Will Genia to score his second.

Gill then went over in a pile of bodies to put the result beyond doubt.

The Rebels finally responded as Shipperley and Jones crossed from long range to bag a precious a bonus point for the visitors, who must now travel to South Africa with their play-off hopes in tatters.