Duty Judicial Officer: Adam Casselden
Player: Rob Horne
Team: Waratahs
Position: Winger
Date of Incident: 30 May 2015
Nature of Offence: Law 10.4 (j) Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player’s feet are still off the ground such that the player’s head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.
Elapsed time in match when incident occurred: 27th minute


The SANZAR Duty Judicial Officer Adam Casselden has accepted a guilty plea from Rob Horne of the Waratahs for contravening Law 10.4 (j) Lifting Tackle, after he was cited following a Super Rugby match at the weekend. 

Horne has been suspended from all forms of the game for three weeks up to and including Saturday 20 June 2015.

The incident occurred in the 27th minute of the Super Rugby match between the Lions and Waratahs at Emirates Airlines Park in Johannesburg on 30 May 2015.

SANZAR Duty Judicial Officer Adam Casselden assessed the case.

In his finding, Mr Casselden ruled the following:

"After initially reviewing the video footage, Citing Commissioner's report and other relevant materials, I heard submissions from the player and his representatives, including his counsel Mr Anthony Black SC, and obtained their views of the incident. I then proceeded by establishing that the player accepted a breach for the cited offence and then identified the various factors involved in the incident.

"I considered the incident had an entry point in the low end range which starts at a four-week suspension for lifting tackles. I then added two weeks as a deterrent to send a further message that this type of tackle cannot be tolerated in the game due to the risk it poses to players.

"Mitigating factors included the player admitting guilt for the offence and demonstrating remorse for his actions. This, among other factors, entitles the player to a 50 per cent reduction, which results in a three-week sanction.

"The player is accordingly found to have contravened Law 10.4 (j) and is suspended for three weeks up to and including Saturday 20 June 2015."