Stormers end tour with another victory

View match page
18 Apr 2015
Stormers end tour with another victory

The Stormers' recent resurgence continued when they secured a 13-6 victory over the Force in Perth on Saturday.

As the scoreline suggests, it wasn't plain sailing and they had to repel a big second half fightback from the home side who couldn't round off several attacks inside the Stormers' 22.

Although they had to work hard, the result was a fitting reward for the men from the Cape as it means they finished their overseas tour on a high with their second win in as many weeks - they also beat the Waratahs in Sydney last weekend - after they lost to the Highlanders and the Hurricanes during the New Zealand leg of their Australasian trip.

The Stormers started the game brightly and took a 3-0 lead via a Demetri Catrakilis penalty. This  after they took the ball through eight phases from the kick-off but the homeside struck back shortly afterwards when Luke Burton also succeeded with a shot from the kicking tee.

The visitors regained the lead after a dominant scrum close to the Force's tryline saw referee Mike Fraser award them a penalty try which Catrakilis converted.

The Force were struggling during the early exchanges and their cause wasn't helped when their captain sam Wykes hobbled off with a leg injury in the 20th minute.

Five minutes before that, the visitors missed a golden opportunity to extend their lead when Schalk Burger put Kobus van Wyk into a gap with a on the edge of

Despite that setback they remained competitive and although the Stormers held the upperhand for the rest of the half the Force were the only side to score points for the rest of the half via another Burton penalty in the 36th minute.

There was little second half was a war of attrition as both sides tried to gain the ascendancy but solid defence from both sides meant neither side managed to cross the whitewash.

Burton had a chance to narrow the deficit to three points in the 47th minute but his shot at goal hit an upright. Stormers game-breakers, Damian de Allende and Cheslin Kolbe came to the fore with some telling breaks but the visitors couldn't convert such enterprising play into points.

The Force threw everything into their attack in a bid to win their first game since Round One but they too will rue their poor finishing. Dane Haylett-Petty crossed the advantage line on several occasions with several sniping runs from the back and Ben McCalman also looked dangerous with ball in hand.

Burton was yellow carded for cynical play on defence close to his tryline and Kurt Coleman slotted the resulting penalty which were the only points of the second half.

Haylett-Petty came close to scoring a try in injury time - which could have earned the Force a draw if converted - but after checking with the television match official, referee Mike fraser ruled that he was held up by the defence.