Australia and South Africa played out a 23-23 draw in their Rugby Championship round three clash at nib Stadium in Perth after Wallabies led by 10 points.

Nothing could separate the two teams at the final whistle in Perth in a physical and very tight tussle. Both sides scored their points in identical fashion: two tries, two conversions and three penalties each.

The away side opened the scoring in the fourth minute with a penalty from fly-half Elton Jantjies after the Wallabies were penalised once again for an early drive. Four minutes later, the Wallabies fired back with a penalty of their own courtesy of fly-half Bernard Foley.

South Africa scored the game's first try. Scrum-half Ross Cronje offloaded to outside centre Jesse Kriel, who hoofed the ball downfield for the galloping Raymond Rhule to chase. He shouldered off Wallabies skipper Michael Hooper, giving Kriel space to collect his own kick and score unopposed in the right hand corner.

Moment later the Wallabies scored their reply try. Full-back Israel Folau jumped and tapped back a kick-off to Adam Coleman. The ball found inside centre Kurtley Beale, who utilised his vision and footwork to run around the Bok defenders to score. Foley landed another penalty just before the half-time hooter to give the home side a three point advantage at the break.

A fantastic driving maul saw Australia hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau score a converted try early in the second half. South Africa reduced the home side's lead to seven points after Jantjies slotted another penalty kick which was awarded after a Wallaby was caught offside.

The Springboks then scored a levelling converted try after a 20 metre maurauding maul resulted in a try for Springbok hooker Malcolm Marx. After 67 minutes, a monsterous Bok scrum from five metres out resulted in a penalty awarded which Jantjies duely converted.

Foley responded with his third penalty conversion after South Africa illegally cleared out the scrum-half. Posession was exchanged numerous times in the last five minutes but the drama ended with a 23-23 draw.

The scorers:

For Australia:
Tries: Beale, Polota-Nau
Cons: Foley 2
Pens: Foley 3

For South Africa:
Tries: Kriel, Marx
Cons: Jantjies 2
Pens: Jantjies 3

Australia: 15 Israel Folau, 14 Henry Speight, 13 Tevita Kuridrani, 12 Kurtley Beale, 11 Reece Hodge, 10 Bernard Foley, 9 Will Genia, 8 Sean McMahon, 7 Michael Hooper (c), 6 Ned Hanigan, 5 Adam Coleman, 4 Rory Arnold, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 1 Scott Sio
Replacements: 16 Jordan Uelese, 17 Tom Robertson, 18 Allan Alaalatoa, 19 Rob Simmons, 20 Jack Dempsey, 21 Nick Phipps, 22 Samu Kerevi, 23 Curtis Rona

South Africa: 15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Raymond Rhule, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Jan Serfontein, 11 Courtnall Skosan, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Ross Cronje, 8 Uzair Cassiem, 7 Jaco Kriel, 6 Siya Kolisi, 5 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4 Eben Etzebeth (c), 3 Coenie Oosthuizen, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Tendai Mtawarira
Replacements: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Trevor Nyakane, 19 Lood de Jager, 20 Jean-Luc du Preez, 21 Francois Hougaard, 22 Handré Pollard, 23 Damian de Allende

Referee: Glen Jackson (New Zealand)
Assistant referees: John Lacey (Ireland), Paul Williams (New Zealand)
TMO: Ben Skeen (New Zealand)